In the days ahead, you do not have to go too far from home — or may not be able to — to find out what you need to know about Hurricane Irene, or to connect with the people you care about. and have a lot of help to offer, as they have in previous disasters. Here are some handy starting points:
— Check the say resources page with direct website links to emergency departments of the says affected by Irene, even though bear in mind, as of late Friday, a few were missing. “Please post Maryland and New York as soon as you can!” wrote one person on the “wall.” (Here are those two states’ emergency websites: New York and Maryland.)
— The American Red Cross and Federal Emergency Management Agency also have their own pages.
— The Global Disaster Relief page is meant to be a “hub for preparedness, response and relief information,” which will be continually updated, stated a spokesman.
— Hurricane Irene Community Page is a kind of blog-style newsfeed of storm-related news.
has also created a tip sheet for how to better use your personal settings before, during and after a disaster. Among the recommendations: After a disaster, let your friends and family know you are all right by going to the Red Cross’ Safe and Well site.
From that site you can update your and status to let your loved ones and friends know that you are safe. Alert those in your social networking circles of your status. A quick post of “I’m ok” or using the hashtag #imok will be sufficient.
You can use the hashtag #irene to follow any tweets about the storm. (Try not to confuse # and @ — @irene is not a tropical cyclone, she is a person.)
Also check the always-changing “trending” list on ‘s home page to see what new hashtags have cropped up that may be of help or of interest. Among those on Friday that were trending: #DontBeScared and #East Coast.
‘s “Fast Follow” feature for phones.
Here are some recommended accounts to follow, as suggested by the short-messaging blog, which limits posts to 140 characters:
— @NYCMayorsOffice: Official info for New Yorkers on evacuations, transportation and more.
— @FEMA and @CraigatFEMA: Preparation tips and the latest updates on Hurricane #Irene. FEMA also has a page here.
also suggests a few text-message features you might want to put into place on your phone before Irene arrives, so that you can still get information if you wind up losing power or mobile Internet:
Fast Follow: Use this feature as “the quickest way to start receiving updates from a source on your mobile device. You do not need to sign up for a account in order to receive updates directly to your mobile phone. For example, to follow FEMA (@fema), all you need to do is text ‘follow fema’ to 40404″ in the United States. You can do the same with any account by sending the text message of “Follow (username)” to 40404. You can learn more about Fast Follow here.
Set SMS alerts: “From your computer, wherever you see a user on .com, you can hover over their name or avatar, and click on the phone icon that appears in the hovercard. Whenever they tweet, you will get it as an SMS message on your phone.”
You can learn more about Fast Follow and Set SMS Alerts here.
Both and are incredibly valuable during times like these; be sure to take advantage of what they have to offer.
“Wherever and whenever disaster strikes, we are reminded of the Internet’s critical role in connecting the world’s population,” stated a spokesman Friday. “Just as millions of people flocked to after recent earthquakes devastated Haiti and Japan and tornadoes ripped across the Midwest, people are once again using our platform to prepare for Hurricane Irene as it barrels toward the East Coast.”
Check out Technolog, Gadgetbox, Digital Life and In-Game on , and on , follow Suzanne Choney.
- Search engine optimization is one of the hottest trends in market websites for boosting their popularity and rankings on the internet. Keywords help to enable websites to attract potential customers. The competition for search engine rankings is very fierce so websites must be aggressive in their marketing efforts. This article can help you to understand the techniques used by many marketers today.
- My Take: The Real Reason People Should Get Excited About Nintendo's New Console
- Horticulture tips for June
- Nintendo's Secret Weapon [GameCube]
- The Pinball Arcade Launches on iOS and Android
- Sony Ericsson shows off Xperia Play phone for PlayStation games (video)
- HTC Plans PlayStation Phones, But at Vita's Expense
- gym a hardship on these kind of wandering around troupes of exploring game enthusiasts during At the reign after the divin announcement around 1559 calle.
- Archos and Gameloft partner up to offer free games on the G9 tablets
- book bag Bauer Style PacificCoastNews Bieber dons Christian Louboutin Syd Leopard Book bag Whil
Submited at Saturday, August 27th, 2011 at 1:00 am on Nintendo by madison
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback