The Korean branch of Sony Computer Entertainment has announced that they will be shutting down the PlayStation Network at night for underage gamers. This is in compliance with South Korea’s Shutdown Law, which bars underage gamers to play games for six hours at night.
The Shutdown Law was originally intended for on-line PC games, but has reached consoles, affecting Microsoft’s Xbox Live and Sony’s PlayStation network gaming services. It was designed to limit underage gamers’ late night gaming and aims to eliminate addiction.
Starting November 18, the company will shut down the PlayStation network to Korean subscribers under the age of 16. Both Microsoft and Sony stated that it will be hard for them to prevent minors from playing between 12AM to 6AM in such short notice.
Microsoft may have a problem because, unlike Sony who requires subscribers to key in their dates of birth, the company’s Korean leg does not collect age data of their subscribers. Microsoft is considering shutting down Xbox Live for all subscribers in the country, regardless of age. Meanwhile, Japanese gaming company Nintendo is yet to comment on how they will work around the situation.
The Korean Shutdown Law was widely criticized by people, saying that the law will do nothing to address why minors play games late at night. They are also arguing that the government has not yet proven that on-line gaming late at night is more harmful than other activities.
- Arai headgear simply by all kinds of pet along with motorcycle supporters but also to have an ARAI head protection extremely pleased !
- 2012 Games with a Twist: Three 2012 Games that Offer Something Different
- Chad Biden would definitely should fine.would take credit compared to its value
- PlayStation 2 games appear to be coming to Android
- thday during Maple Club within Vegas yesterday evening The entire year older rapper put on pair of Dita Grandmaster sunglasses Givenchy Nutty
- nd couple of Rrrsidence Martin Margiela Suede Slick Leather TwoTone Trainers BauerFashion FameFlynet Images Sneak Dogg Fe
- For Now, Small Is Good For Android Apps Publishers
- Mobiele games round-up #8
- Sony to showcase over 30 PlayStation games at Tokyo Game Show, including ...
- RETROspective: Jet Set Radio
Submited at Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 at 5:00 am on PC games by Cinthia
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback