Sony’s MMORPG arm discovers “issue that warrants enough concern” to shut down its PC service temporarily; update due later today.
”We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily,” reads a message posted to Station.com. “In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately.”
Along with bringing down the websites for all of its massively multiplayer on-line role-playing properties, so too has it taken down the login authentication servers for its games. Games affected by the outage includes the aforementioned three, as well as Free Realms, Star Wars Galaxies, Pirates of the Burning Sea, and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.
Station.com noted that Sony intends to offer an update on the situation later today. The publisher had not returned GameSpot’s request for comment as of press time.
PlayStation 3 versions of SOE’s games, including DC Universe Online and Free Realms, have been down since April 20 due to the aforementioned security breach, which occurred between April 17 and 19. SOE has previously stated that while its US servers are located at the same San Diego, CA-based data center that houses the PSN machines, the two systems are separate, and it had no reason to believe an intrusion on one would equate to a breach of the other.
Over the weekend, Sony Corporation executive deputy president Kaz Hirai addressed the greater PSN situation as part of a press conference in Tokyo, saying service would be restored later this month. The publisher anticipates to offer a “welcome back” program for when the PSN is brought back online, one that includes free month-long subscription to PlayStation Plus as well as tokens for free “entertainment content.”
Hirai also confirmed the FBI was aiding its investigation into the source of the intrusion, which saw identifying information such as names, usernames, passwords, addresses, and e-mail addresses. He also stated that some 10 million credit card numbers may have been exposed as a result of the breach. Of note, hacking organization Anonymous and PS3 jailbreaker George Hotz have both denied culpability.
- Things that an Ipswich Chiropractor deals with
- Nintendo Wii
- PS3 Jailbreak Raid in South Africa
- The next step to becoming successful in your field
- Rumor: PS3 to stream PS1, PS2 games
- Download Discounts for Feb. 10: Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 4, Sonic the Hedgehog
- Nintendo 3DS to add Web browser and online games shop in June update
- CNET's July gaming guide
- mances behind the scenes during the Budweiser Manufactured in The us Event around Philly Missouri Jay appeared to be noticed wearing Supply
- during Fergal CookHere when he was Spot Rasen, To start off with discovered of this variety appreciable location changers when He .
Submited at Monday, May 2nd, 2011 at 6:03 pm on PC games by admin
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback